The LGO Early Admission program is designed for MIT undergrad students who are motivated and forward-thinking students interested in a career at the intersection of business and technology, who want to secure a seat in a future MIT Sloan MBA/MIT School of Engineering class. LGO Early Admission is an opportunity exclusively for MIT students who are graduating with their undergraduate degree during the current academic year. MIT MEng students who entered the program immediately upon completing their undergraduate degree without full-time work experience can also be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Candidates apply this upcoming academic year, and then are required to seek full-time work experience for two to five years before enrolling in the MS/MBA program at MIT. All MIT students interested must apply by the first round of early admission. The deadline will be in early November, 2022. If there are questions about this program, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undergraduate seniors who are not MIT students can apply for MBA Early Admission, and then work for 2 to 5 years before matriculating. If accepted for Sloan early admission, candidates can then apply for LGO the fall before enrolling.
- Candidates apply for early admission via Sloan’s MBA Early Admission application, where they select LGO and their desired engineering department for consideration.
- Engineering departments you can apply for are:
- Deadline: Candidates must apply by the Round 1 MBA Early deadline in November 2022 only
- Decisions will be released in mid-December
- Where should I source my letters of recommendation?
- LGO Early requires three letters of recommendation: one letter should come from a professional source, e.g., a work supervisor or manager, who is able to speak with certainty about your professional achievement and potential, and the second letter should come from an academic source, e.g., an MIT faculty member. The third letter should be a technical letter of recommendation from someone who can speak to your analytical acumen, technical expertise and depth, quantitative problem solving, and the ability to look closely into a scientific/technical problem. The technical letter can also be from an academic source or from a technical supervisor, e.g,. a Chief Engineer or Senior Scientist.
- What should I include in the LGO Statement of Purpose?
- Please include details about your interest in the particular engineering department to which you are applying. We encourage candidates to be specific about any research areas, faculty, or partner companies who would align with your future research and career interests.
- Can I apply to more than one engineering department?
- You can only apply to one engineering department. Occasionally, if a candidate may be a better fit for another department, LGO admissions will reach out to discuss the possibility of transferring their application to be considered for another engineering department.
- Do LGO Early Admit applicants have a different application review process?
- LGO Early applicants will undergo the same LGO application review process as other LGO applicants. The program looks for mission-driven students who have a history of leadership and impact, and are also talented individuals who can use analytical tools to solve complex problems.
- Are any parts of the application waived?
- The application fee is waived for LGO Early applicants. If you meet the eligibility requirements, with a cumulative GPA of 4.2 or higher, the GMAT/GRE is NOT required.
- Do LGO Early Admit applicants qualify for the LGO fellowship?
- Yes, candidates who are admitted to LGO Early and who are not fully sponsored from another source will receive an LGO fellowship. They will be reviewed for their fellowship amount with the applicant pool of the year they matriculate into the program.
- Will I still have access to the same resources and opportunities as an LGO student?
- Yes, all of the career resources, clubs and extracurricular opportunities available at Sloan, as well as the School of Engineering, and greater MIT community are available to LGO students. This includes the option to obtain roles as Teaching Assistants, participate in case competitions, lead conferences, serve on student committees, etc.
- As an MBA Early admit applying to LGO, what will the LGO application entail?
- We will ask for an updated resume, an LGO Statement of Purpose, and one technical letter of recommendation. We strongly encourage an additional, optional second technical letter of recommendation. Candidates will be interviewed again, with a focus on fit for the LGO Program.
- If you were admitted into Sloan’s MBA Early program in 2020/21 and were not required to submit test scores, you will not be required to submit test scores when you apply to LGO.